One of Ayurveda’s most important herbs is ashwagandha which is known for its ability to relieve stress. According to Wikipedia, ashwagandha also known as Indian ginseng, is from the nightshade family – the same family that brings you potatoes, tomatoes, tobacco and petunias. It has been used for centuries for a variety of health benefits. Ashwagandha is important for highly sensitive people because it is a highly effective and non-toxic way to heal the effects of stress.
- In Ayurveda, it is used to treat all sorts of debilitating illnesses. Ashwaghandha is a restorative herb and adaptogen, which means it helps the body handle stress. making it very helpful for highly sensitive people.
- It is said to confer the strength of a horse, protecting and enhancing the energy of the body.
- Ashwagandha is often used as an aphrodisiac and enhancer of sexual energy, but is increasingly seen as a useful herb to protect anyone from the effects of modern stressful living.
- According to Banyan Botanicals ashwagandha is also useful in protecting bones and joints and therefore helps with arthritis.
- It supports the immune system and adrenal functioning. Adrenal fatigue is often a consequence of long term stress and can result in many other physical ailments including allergies and obesity. Natural Herbs Guide cites a study on ashwagandha which found that this herb offered a lot of antioxidents which explains its support for the immune system, its restorative capabilities and its help with healthy aging. Ashwagandha helps minimize the effects of illness.
- According to Ashwagandha Benefits, some people use it to minimize the effects of: chemotherapy, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, stress induced ulcers and osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Ashwaghandha helps stabilize blood sugar and supports the liver as well as the adrenals.
HIghly sensitive people suffer from chronic stress as well as many illnesses including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, adrenal fatigue and cancer. Although changes to lifestyle can yield many benefits, highly sensitive people often need supplements to manage their stress levels and illnesses. Ashwagandha is an herb with few side effects that can be helpful to highly sensitive people although it is not recommended for pregnant women. Since HSP’s have to struggle with the debilitating effects of stress, this beneficial herb can go a long way to supporting HSP’s need to be strong in order to function well on a daily basis.