Do breathing techniques matter?
Isn’t it simply a matter of breathing in and out somehow?
Breathing can have an extremely beneficial effect on us or create damage in our organs and tissues as well as create disease.
Breathing is major.
How Breathing Makes A Difference
Breathing matters because it affects how much oxygen is in the body.
Too little oxygen in the body can create all sorts of complications. Holistic Online cites a 1947 German study which showed that when the body was deprived of oxygen, healthy cells became cancerous. Oxygen insufficiency can cause of many illnesses in particular heart disease, circulatory problems and stroke.
Many people do not realize that oxygen plays several roles in our bodies.
Betty Hart discusses the process changes that take place in the body when oxygen is inadequate in her excellent article:
- oxygen plays a rejuvenating and regenerative function in our cells.
- oxygen is also needed to help remove wastes in the body. With inadequate oxygen, toxins can build up in the body; we are, in effect, smothering our cells with toxins.
- inadequate oxygen is often considered a cause or a leading factor in metabolic disorders. Diabetes, obesity and hypertension are considered metabolically based conditions.
Oxygen And Stress
Stress affects oxygen in the body.
Under stress, the body
- mobilizes oxygen and whatever else it needs to the cells,
- calling up emergency supplies (nutritional stores) for the threat that has to be addressed
- shuts down digestive processes because they are not critical when the human system is under threat
- breathes in a shallow manner which reduces the amount of oxygen coming into the body.
So we are using more and taking less in, which results in oxygen depletion.
Oxygen, Breathing and HSP’s
So how does this relate to highly sensitive people?
Since HSP’s are very susceptible to stress, and because their sensitivities result in ongoing stress issues, they are vulnerable to oxygen depletion. The result can be not only cell depletion but a build up of toxins in the body that create new health issues.
Highly sensitive people have a higher need than average to develop strategies for minimizing toxins, and maximizing oxygen and nutrients in their bodies. Strategies that reduce stress, deep breathing techniques that increase oxygen in the body and good health habits can turn around a potentially deadly situation for HSP’s.