My cat, Kelly, loves to eat my asparagus fern.
She is detoxing.
I learned from Dr. John Douillard of Lifespa in Colorado that new greens which emerge from the ground in the spring are meant to help us cleanse our intestinal tract after a winter of eating heavy insulating foods. There are specific steps in an effective detox: Which Detoxing Steps Are You Missing?
In order to detox well, you need the right diet and practices that will support the cleansing of your system. In addition, there are herbs that are especially effective for removing the toxins that make you sluggish and create disease.
These are 13 Ayurvedic herbs for an effective detox and rejuvenation program (1)(2):
- for cleaning the lymphatic system, where our immune system is located: manjistha. According to the Ayurvedic Encyclopedia, manjistha is one of the best herbs for blood purification and for detoxing the liver of environmental toxins which are increasingly a reason for poor health. It also cleans and regulates the liver, spleen, pancreas and kidneys, all organs which are important parts of the digestive system, and is anti-cancer and anti-tumor.
- for repairing the mucus membrane of the gut, which becomes dysfunctional when clogged by heavy foods: turmeric. Turmeric helps relieve the mucus buildup that comes from eating heavy foods, regulates the metabolism, is a natural antibiotic that improves intestinal flora and purifies the blood. It improves IBS, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease and all inflammatory conditions.
- thinning the bile so that toxins do not get backed up in the liver forcing them into the body where they will be stored in fat cells: beets, fenugreek, cinnamon.
- Beets improve lymph, liver and gall bladder functioning and act as a laxative as well.
- Fenugreek is a rejuvenating herb that improves liver function and diabetic symptoms.
- Cinnamon is a strengthener: it strengthens the metabolism, one’s constitution and the individual organs of digestion: the liver, spleen pancreas and kidneys.
- cleansing the liver for proper processing of fat soluble toxins: amalaki, guduchi, barberry.
- Amalaki cleans the intestines, stops stomach and intestinal inflammation, and improves the symptoms of diabetes and gastrointestinal conditions.
- Guduchi is a blood purifier that improves digestion. It supports the immune system.
- Barberry is a kind of decongestant in that it reduces fat, reduces congestion in the stomach, regulates liver functioning and destroys toxins in the body.
- cell regeneration: shilajit. Shilajit restores oxygen and nutrition to depleted cells and strengthens the immune system.
- balancing blood sugar: gymnema sylvestre removes sugar from the pancreas and restores pancreatic function and making it one of the most important Ayurvedic herbs for diabetes.
- restoring digestion: ginger, black pepper, long pepper. These three herbs all act on digestion to stimulate and restore the digestive fire.
These are all important and useful herbs for anyone seeking a strong digestive detox. I have personally used then and have been very pleased with the improvement to my well-being. They are worth considering as part of a detoxification plan.
(1) Some herbal information obtained from the Ayurvedic Encyclopedia.
(2)These herbs are part of Dr. John Douillard’s Colorado Cleanse.