Let The Creative Process Help You To Achieve Your Goals

Do you get stuck when trying to move forward?

Are you creative but still find that you can flounder or use your momentum?

Do you wish you could find an easier way to make the life that you seek?

Why It Helps To Embrace The Creative Process

Creating can be a difficult and confounding process. We often take one step forward and another back.

It can be hard to understand why that is. So we look into our childhoods, our belief systems and all sorts of corners of our psyche to figure our what is getting in our way.

According to Robert Fritz, author of The Path Of Least Resistance and Creating in addition to many other books, The problem is not in our psyches it is in the structural system that dominates our lives.

What Is The Creative Process?

Many of us have mistaken ideas about the creative process.

The creative process is NOT about coming up with ideas.

The creative process is NOT about concepts.

The creative process is NOT about finding yourself.

The creative process is NOT a form of personal salvation.

The creative process IS a structure that lets you create.

The creative process IS a way to remove irrelevant considerations from your creating – whatever your creating is about.

The creative process IS a way to move from where you are now to your creative goal.

What Is Irrelevant To Creating?

In creating the only thing that matters is what you want to create, and how you are going to get from where you are not to what you are trying to create.

It does not matter what I think or what you family and friends think.

It does not matter what you religion or political affiliation is.

It does not matter what the weather is, who likes you or does not.

It does not mater is you have a dog, cat or a bird.

It does not matter if you had a bad childhood.

It does not matter if you like yourself.

How To Make The Creative Process Work For You

According to Robert Fritz, the creative process is very simple:

• identify where you want to go, what you want to achieve
  • identify where you are
  • determine how to get there
  • do it.

Once you know what you want and where you are now, you can develop the step you need to take. There is no one to consult, and no approval to get.

It is that simple.

We overcomplicate it with a lot of extraneous considerations which are really irrelevant.

So, for example, you want to become super healthy.

First you need to assess where you are and then create a series of steps to achieve your objective. It may include losing weight, drinking more and healthier water, dealing with stress issues, figuring our a lifestyle plan that will support your health, etc.

The big benefit of this approach is that taking one step supports the rest of the steps. So going through the process, each step moves forward and feeds into the next. Gone is the oscillating pattern of one step forward and one step back.

By having a straightforward creative process, you now have a structure that supports your moving forward.

That’s all you need to creative whatever you want.

Sound too simple?

Try it. See if it works for you.

I am using it, and although it takes getting used to, it does work.

FacebookGoogle+LinkedInPinterestShare/Bookmark

Comments

• Maria says

Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you enjoy the blog. I think Robert Fritz is great for HSPs because his approach lets us retain our HSP insights and wisdom while providing a structure that gets us beyond our ruminating.

I am always interested in hearing from HSPs about their experience with creativity.

All the best,
      Maria

1. says

Great provocations! I agree with most of it whole heartedly. You’re right on with the irrelevant misconceptions. Creativity is not self-expression.

For me Creativity is the energy we put into making something better.

I wouldn’t translate that necessarily as a linear process of getting from here to there, but I do like the idea of posing a question, even if it’s just, “I wonder what would happen if _____” and then deciding what to try next.

Then, do it.

Only after doing it do you go back and examine how doing it made things better or if it started to answer your question.

It’s easy to get caught up doing and doing without pausing to reflect then making a new plan. It’s also easy to get stuck brooding on the questions, the self-doubt, the irrelevant assumptions that keep us from taking action and experiencing life in its gift of our own Creativity.

Thanks for the stim!

• Maria says

Hi David,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with your. Our creativity is meant to be realized. As you mention it is not a linear process, since there is usually sme learning, trial and error in getting from the beginning to completion. HSPs tend t ruminate so the cative process can help us move forward.

Great to hear from you!

Maria

2. Cali says

I’ve only recently discovered I’m an HSP so I’m still learning about what it means. Through therapy sessions I have also found out that I expect to be an expert at everything I do, even if its the first time I’ve done it – is this a characteristic which can be associated with being an HSP?
    I love doing various crafty things and decided is try jewellery making – so firstly I bought everything I could ever want or need (another typical behaviour of mine!), I have more beads than I’ll probably ever use! After putting off starting to make things (procrastination is another typical behaviour of mine as I know I’ll be no good) I ran out of excuses of reasons why I had to wait and started working on my first few things – the pictures in my mind and the finished items weren’t quitethe same, so clearly I’m useless at jewellery making. I never thought of breaking things down and setting smaller, more achievable targets to help reach my ultimate goal. Thank you

• Maria says

Hi Caroline,

I am glad that you found the article useful. I do not think it is a fault that you have the difficulty of moving forward. I think it comes from two HSP characteristics: being conscientious and holistic.

I am both and I notice that it can be difficult for me to think in terms of parts, compartment and steps. Therefore, it can be very hard to take action. When you break things down into small steps, it makes it easier to bypass self-doubt which I find to be a challenge sometimes. It also makes it easier to experiment since one step is not a matter of life and death. It is also easier to self critique with small steps and therefore, it gives you more control ver your work, which can be freeing.

I have also difficulty with having to be an expert on everything. I do not think it was something I initially put on myself, but it was expected. HSPs because they are so conscientious can find that others have expectations that can be difficult to live with. Whether you just do that to yourself or others encourage it, it is important to protect yourself from the overwork that comes from trying to be an expert at everything.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

All the best,
      Maria

3. says

Thanks for this stimulating article. But you write, “It does not matter if you like yourself.” — It seems to me (and others) that healthy self concept and esteem DO impact our creativity. In an edition of her newsletter, Elaine Aron wrote: “I know ALL HSPs are creative, by definition. Many have squashed their creativity because of their low self-esteem.” – From my post Elaine Aron on Creativity and Sensitivity http://shrd.by/wK8t6h

• Maria says

Thanks, Douglas, I am glad you liked the article.

When I was saying it doesn’t matter is you like yourself, I was not trying to suggest that liking yourself is a bad idea. I think it is good for you. However, whether or not you do does not have to interfere with creating. I am an abstract painter. Whether or not I like myself does not interfere with making a stretcher, priming it, creating a sketch, or deciding that blue is the right color to use in a particular location on the canvas.

Not liking myself can affect my desire to create and has. The more that I work with Fritz’s model the more I realize that liking myself or not stems from cultural concepts of who and how I should be and nothing to do with the creative process itself. Great creators in the past did not live with our cultural models and they created anyway – many in spite of extreme prohibitions against creativity. We still have a lot of prohibitions against creativity which can be inhibiting.

So I agree that many of us have squashed our creativity. Our low self-esteem probably comes from an early negative reception to it. I certainly experienced a lot of that. But I do not think we have to let that be the last word. It is also fun if you don’t.

4. says

Thanks for this, Maria. Sometimes I get distracted by worldly concerns, and you’re right, I need to shake myself up and just start doing whatever it is I feel like I can’t.

• Maria says

Hi Tammi,

It is nice to hear from you.

I think we all get distracted because our culture is hyper stimulated, although for HSPs the problem is more challenging. What I like about a simple creative process is that it lets you easily refocus so you can stay on track. It is impossible to eliminate distractions but you can make it easier to get back on track. Interestingly my meditation teachers told me not to distractions but rather to let them go.

Another nice feature of a simple creative process is that you can break down whatever it is you think you cannot do into very small steps so that eventually you do what you thought you couldn’t by focusing on the goal through the steps. It keeps you from freezing into fear which we all do when we are trying to accomplish a daunting task.

All the best!