Highly sensitive people are easily overwhelmed by the frenzy of the holiday season. The spirit of the season and their own generous spirits can easily result in HSP’s becoming overcommitted and overworked. Here are ways to make the holiday season more pleasurable without making your own life miserable:
- the first step to an enjoyable holiday season is to take stock of your health needs. It is extremely important to take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating healthy organic food, getting some exercise and making sure you take medications and supplements so that the demands of the season can be taken in stride.
- take stock of your family, work and other group commitments to set some priorities in gift giving and social engagements.
- take care of shopping early. The internet is a blessing for highly sensitive people. Shopping information on products has evolved to the point where decisions are easily researched and purchases are secure.
- take time for yourself. If you expect a lot of demands for the holidays, it would be helpful to take a time out to recharge every day and every week. Some options that can help you to recharge are : meditation once or twice a day, a day or evening off for curling up with a book, a spa night with a good soak in the tub and a weekly massage or reiki treatment.
- if you have a lot of tension in your life from family and/or work, it can help to start and end each day with some journaling. Journaling lets you release frustrations in a healthy and safe way. It hands your frustrations over to the universe, freeing your energy for other activities. It can be thought of as a form of delegating.
- make time for joy. Take time to enjoy the visual delights and other pleasures of the holiday season. They are an expression of goodwill that you deserve to enjoy as much as anyone else.
- giving to some favorite charities can lift your spirits. There are wonderful charities that help children and others in need that would love your support. You can even give in someone else’s name, which is a wonderful gift to give someone else.